What is Hair Porosity
Hair porosity is the ability of your hair to absorb and keep moisture. it also determines how easily oils can pass in and out your hair. knowing your hair porosity is very helpful to:
- Know your hair type
- Choose the right products for your hair
- Choose the right routine to grow healthy soft hair and maintain your hair’s moisture at the optimal levels.
How do I know my Hair Porosity?
A very simple test is done to know your hair porosity level. This one is called “the float test”. Follow these steps to find out:
- Take a hair strand from a comb or a brush and drop it into a glass of water
- Let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
- If it floats, you have low porosity hair, if it sinks you have high porosity hair and if it’s in the middle then you have normal porosity hair.
Low Porosity Hair
It has very tight cuticle. It hardly absorbs moisture or let oils penetrate the hair shaft, but once it absorbs it does retain the moisture. To help moisture penetrate, it’s recommended to:
- Use light hydrators and avoid heavy products that can weigh the hair down. Recommended oils for low porosity hair are: Argan Oil, Sweet Almond Oil and Jojoba Oil.
- When applying a moisturizer on your hair make sure to
- Apply it over damp hair rather than dry hair
- Use mild heat to open up the cuticle and help the product penetrate into the hair shaft. You can do this by covering the hair with warm towel when applying a mask/oil treatment.
- Distribute the product evenly over the hair to avoid putting too much of it on the same area, the hair will not absorb it and it will make residuals that will turn the hair greasy and harm it.
Find out more about our specially formulated Light Miracle Hair Oil for low porosity hair.
Normal Porosity Hair
It has compact cuticle that easily let moisture in and retain it. Regular use of deep moisturizing oils is recommended to keep it healthy and moisturized.
Take a look at our Hair Care moisturizing collection here
High Porosity Hair
It easily loses moisture. To help keep moisture in it’s recommended to
- Use minimal heat and void direct heat, it’s better to air dry your hair.
- Use heavy weighing moisturizers like Coconut oil and Shea butter.
- Rinse with cold water to help seal the cuticle.
Find out more about our special CocoShea Hydrating Hair Mask designed for high porosity hair.